[mythtv] Re: mythtv presentation at the CeBIT

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 3 10:18:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:22:56AM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >     >> The Linux spot is sponsored by Hauppauge and runs under a
> >     >> Hauppauge and VIA partnership.
> >
> >     Ivor> Ooh while you're there perhaps you could ask VIA why they
> >     Ivor> have such a crap attitude and approach when it comes to
> >     Ivor> opensource.
> >
> > And don't forget to ask Haupauge as well, since they have never
> > helped with any of the driver developement for their cards.

Maybe this was true in the mid-90s, when Linux was as well known as
CPM today, so any inquiries to the startup company Hauppauge may have
bounced off back then. This is certainly not true in the last 3-4
years.

> Either you're not doing a very good job of trying to be funny, or
> you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Hauppauge has
> actually been rather helpful with ivtv development, both on the
> software side and hardware side.

Not to mention that the latest Nova-T driver was written by Hauppauge
last summer and released under Open Source after going through a
painful NDA release review with Conexant. Now it is even part of the
kernel. Just grep the kernel sources for hauppauge.com addresses.

Hauppauge is doing a lot to support the Linux community. They are not
of the size of Intel or other mega-coorperations to afford a staff of
Linux developers to do in-house development (not that this really
helped development of Linux Centrino wireless support), and they have
a firm commitment to Linux and Open Source nobody can deny.

If you feel otherwise, just ask for what you need.

> Hauppauge has provided quite a bit of information on the various
> hardware components, details on their eeproms (almost the entire
> tveeprom module is based off data provided by Hauppauge),

No need to tell Marcus, he is a coauthor of the tveeprom module, and
in fact of bttv. As such Marcus and his brother's pioneering work are
very much appreciated, even if they did not have Hauppauge's support
a decade ago.

> and it is through Hauppauge that we were able to get datasheets for
> nearly all the tuners on the latest PVR-XXX cards and the cx25840
> chip on the 150 and 500.

and cx23415/16 and cx2388x :)

> They have also donated hardware to a few key people, myself
> included. I'm sure Axel can share more details on why you're way off
> base with the statement that Hauppauge has never helped with any of
> the driver development for their cards.

Well, Marcus seems to have stopped doing v4l developement on Hauppauge
cards shortly before the millenium, so his statement may have been
true around that time. Nevertheless it is dangerous to come up with
statements that may since have been reverted. 5 years is a long time
in the IT business. In 5 years from now Office will be running on
Microsoft Linux NG.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net