[mythtv] Controlling an r5000hd recorder from MythTV

Michael Chmilar chmilar at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 14 17:44:57 EDT 2005

Hello,

I am working on controlling an r5000hd recorder from MythTV. The
r5000hd is modified DirecTV HD receiver (you can learn more at
http://www.r5000hd.com).

The r5000hd must be hosted on a Windows XP machine. The maker
supplies a USB driver, a "recorder" app, and a "scheduler" app. The
r5000hd cannot be hosted on linux, as there is no linux USB driver.

What I have accomplished, so far:

The r5000hd recorder app can be run from the Windows XP command
prompt. From the prompt, you can change channels, start recording,
and stop recording.

I can telnet from linux to XP, and control the recorder.

I have written some Perl scripts that telnet to XP and start
recording on a given channel, and stop the recording.

Using Samba, I can mount the mythtv recording directory in XP, and
write the recorded files (which are transport streams).

I have a functioning MythTV setup, using an Air2PC card.

What I need to do:

The next task is get MythTV to control the r5000hd. My strategy is to
have MythTV execute my Perl scripts to start and stop recording.

What I need to know:

It would be helpful if some experienced MythTV developers could point
me in the right direction, so I can have the r5000hd appear as
another form of "tuner".

1) How do I register the device as a tuner?

2) How to get MythTV to run my "start recording" and "stop recording"
scripts.

3) How to get the resulting file to appear in the list of recordings.

I am an experienced software developer, so it is okay get
technical. I haven't dived into the MythTV code yet. I don't know if
will have to modify the MythTV code, or if everything can be done
through "configuration". I will probably start into that this
weekend. Any pointers that will get me on the right track more
quickly are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike