[mythtv] Requirements on a window manager?

Paul Bender pbender at qualcomm.com
Sun Jan 2 00:18:08 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 20:56 -0800, Mark Frey wrote:
> I just updated to the latest cvs and found that the frontend is now in
> a window rather than being in full screen as it was before I updated.
> I don't have the option "Display Frontend in a window" checked. I have
> been using twm as my window manager because this box is used only for
> Myth and so I never bothered to install anything else. I assume that
> this new behavior is just something to do with twm being an obsolete
> window manager. My question is: What are the requirements on a window
> manager such that it will work with Myth? Could anyone suggest a
> stripped down window manager that works for them with Myth? As few
> dependencies as humanly possible would be good.

Normally, I do not use any window manager on my Myth front end. I just
run mythfrontend from the xinitrc file. When I do need a window manager
on the box for something, I run blackbox
<http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/>. It depends on X, FreeType,
FontConfig, expat, zlib, glibc and libstdc++ (from g++). It is less than
500k in size.