[mythtv] dynamic transcoding / multiple simultaneous quality levels

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Feb 20 13:03:23 UTC 2005

>Unfortunately, the current requirement for a fairly heavy-duty system to
>decode HDTV means that front ends connected to standard televisions will be
>comparatively expensive as well as ruling out some very interesting
>possible front ends (such as the Mac Mini).

I could be wrong, but I think it's mainly heavy duty because you are
decoding to such high resolutions.  I suspect that if you run the
frontend at a low resolution then it will need far less CPU?

I don't have HDTV so can't offer to test.  But depending on the
implementation of the decoding it seems likely that there is a CPU
saving if you drop the resolution...

Ed W