[mythtv] dynamic transcoding / multiple simultaneous quality levels

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sun Feb 20 02:00:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Brad Templeton wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 04:18:20PM -0800, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> >
> > I've been lurking on the list for a while, and given the impending idiocy
> > of the broadcast flag, am planning to buy a few HDTV tuner cards within the
> > next couple of months and put together a Myth box.
>
> These questions are more for the user's list, mythtv-users, in fact there
> is a thread on HDTV transcoding and other transcoding right now.
>
> In short, real-time transcoding of HDTV isn't even remotely possible today,
> but people are discussing other desires for how to transocde it.

Thanks for the pointer to the other thread, I will look for it.

As far as posting to the dev list, my questions/suggestions for supporting
multiple quality levels for a given recording seemed more like something
that would need additional code/development to support, as opposed to
questions regarding how to use existing functionality. Or do you mean
appropriate procedure is to float suggestions for new functionality on the
users list first to get feedback before bugging the developers? In any
case, sorry if it was an inappropriate posting.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768