[mythtv] Streaming Prebuffering Pause

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Tue Feb 15 05:33:51 UTC 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 11:17 pm, Blammo wrote:
> Ok, I'm a little anxious.. It took care of the non-XvMC issue, but the
> XvMC issue fading-osd-lockup issue remains.
>
> Still chasing that ghost..
>
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:49:15 -0700, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bonzai!!
> >
> > It's libmpeg2
> >
> > disable it, and the problem goes away. Both with and without XvMC.
> >
> > Here's the version I'm currently running:
> >
> > mpeg2dec-0.4.0b
> >
> > If anyone can tell me how to debug that specific lib I will, but that
> > is the culprit, at least in my case.
> >
> > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:32:52 -0700, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:

It doesn't happen for me 100% of the time.  Seems a little worse when a
recording process is going on also.  I couldn't find any corelation to various
playback options.

However, I rebuilt to todays CVS, and at first glance, it does seem much
better.  I'll keep trying it for awhile to see.

Perhaps related, I almost hate to bring it up...  I'm finding that about
1 in 10 unpauses or fast forwards/reverse using XvMC will result in
a total system lockup.  The machine is pingable, but otherwise cannot
be remotely logged into, and all processes are hung.  This sounds
perhaps like a bug in the Nvidia module used by the driver.  Its really early
in my problem detection, but it has happened 4-5 times since 0.17 has been
loaded.  I'm running 2.6.11rc3.  The Nvidia driver had to have a patch
before it would even build on this kernel so its possible I'm just a bit ahead
of the stable point.  Its never happened without XvMC (yet).

I'll keep watching and post more as I see it...

Brian