[mythtv] MythMusic After CVS 2005.01.25 Uses Excessive X Resources

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Feb 1 05:48:08 EST 2005

Paul Bender wrote:

> I run Myth on a Via EPIA ME6000. With CVS dated 2005.01.25, X uses ~1%
> of the CPU when running MythMusic. However, starting with CVS dated
> 2005.01.26 (and at least through 2005.01.30), X uses over 50% of the
> CPU when running MythMusic. In both cases, no visualizations were
> running.

You don't give much info about your problem, but about that time the
audio code was changed to use the same stuff as in main libmyth.  It
also now includes a really fine resampler which chews CPU like it's
going out of fashion, but sounds excellent.

Could you by chance be needing the resampler? eg playing 44.1Khz stuff
out through a device (perhaps spdif) which is locked to 48Khz?

If so then you can tweak the code to reduce the resampling quality back
to the same quality and speed as before.  Look in
libs/libmyth/audiooutputbase.cpp and find the line which says
"src_new(xxx)".  Change the first param to 1.  See here for the API
instructions on the resampler:
http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/api_full.html

Ideally this would become an option (ie the quality), however, I'm not a
fan of needless options, so lets find out what the problem is first I think?

Ed W