[mythtv] cutting still leaves unwanted start/end frames

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at mrl.nyu.edu
Thu Sep 30 11:26:43 EDT 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Chris Petersen wrote:

]I'm just wondering if a solution was ever found to this problem.  With
]the new nuvexport done, I've started transcoding most of my recordings
]to xvid, and I notice that on a LOT of them, there is about 1/4 second
]or so of material at the start/end of my recordings that should have
]been cut out.

This sounds like the GOP is not aligned with the programming. I'm
guessing these are PVR-250 recordings? Placing cut points inside a GOP
requires transcoding the GOP into two GOP's, one on each side of the
cut, so it is not easy to fix. It's a feature that we may need, but
until someone gets annoyed enough by it to write some code it it will
remain.

]Not only that, but when editing, I notice that sometimes I can't even
]get the "cursor" to go to the very beginning of the episode (sometimes
]it sticks as far out as 2 seconds -- pressing "back" actually moves the
]cursor forward in time -- very annoying).

That sounds like a bug not a missing feature. Have you tried moving back
a frame at a time? A keyframe at a time?

]With this being the case, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just NOT
]transcode my shows to cut commercials, and set nuvexport to use
]transcode for commercial cutting, instead of relying upon myth's own
]cutting routines.

Does this work?

-- Daniel