[mythtv] Bug in 0.16 scheduler?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Thu Oct 14 09:00:12 UTC 2004

Thomas Börkel wrote:

> HI!
>
> Thanks to Joseph and Bruce for the informative explanations.

> [various "workarounds"]
>
> I understand that the scheduler is very clever in its job, handling
> the different recording types and priorities. But IMHO, those
> priorities and stuff should only be taken in account, if there is a
> real conflict. Same goes for manual overrides. Why should I even look
> into the schedule, if I do not expect a conflict?
>
> But there is no real conflict here. If the scheduler would first try
> straight forward, then it would have come to my solution above,
> because there is no conflict. There are enough tuner cards available
> to do the job. And it should not prefer tuner 1 over tuner 2, when I
> have not set tuner priorities.
>
> I see "Reschedule Higher Priorities" also only as a workaround to the
> real solution. But at least it records everything then.
>
> The thing is, if I had not looked into the recording schedule, I
> wouldn't even have noticed, that there is a conflict and that not
> everything will be recorded.
>
> Maybe you could consider changing the scheduler, that it first tries
> straight forward, before it takes any priorities in account.

And maybe the straight-forward scheduler could be made fast enough so it
can re-assign a recording to a different card when you're using the
scheduled one for Live TV.

Last time I lost the end of a program because I was half an hour behind
on Live TV and suddenly it comes up telling me it wants to use the card
for a recording while the other card was doing nothing! As a certainly
didn't want to lose the scheduled recording I had to decide to ditch the
program I had been watching. I can tell you my significant other was
_not_ amused!

(But maybe this could be handled by the current scheduler by adding a
new option "try to reschedule the program" to the pop-up asking you what
to do with Live TV?)

Cheers,
 -Tako