[mythtv] Re: LIBVERSION = 0.15.0.99?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun May 30 13:25:46 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 02:59:52PM +0200, Henk Poley wrote:
> Op zaterdag 29 mei 2004 23:26, schreef Axel Thimm:
> > On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 03:51:22PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > > The package name would be:
> > >
> > > mythtv-cvs-20040529-1.rhfc1.at
> > >
> > > No versioning issues whatsoever.
> >
> > IMHO it is even worse. You propose two sets of packages with
> > completely different and uncomparable versioning. So for switching
> > from mythsomething-cvs = 20040529 to mythsomething = 0.16 you need
> > special versioned obsoletes all around the specfiles. Even worse you
> > need to change dependencies (e.g. Requires: libmyth-cvs = 20040529 vs
> > libmyth = 0.16).
>
> Uhm, your RPMs are binary releases, isn't it?

There are both binaries and src.rpms.

> Then why won't you put a notice on your website saying something
> like "20071130 = MythTV 2.10"?

You mean the users should themselve override the rpm upgrade path and
forcefully install what they consider best? This is already a pain
with one package, but mythtv has 10 base packages (and about 50-70
dependent). So people have to use a package resolver (apt/yum) to not
go nuts.

> I guess RPM (with apt-get) has apt-pinning?

Yes, but apt is not the only package resolver, there are yum, up2date
and rcd (in order of popularity). I need to support all nad coannot
rely on a particular feature of one resolver (which wouldn't help
anyway).

> So people can tell their package management to not upgrade when they
> want to stop using CVS builds. Just be sure to shuffle in actual
> releases into the 'CVS' packages.

Already taken care of, the myth cvs bits are in a repo called
"bleeding" described literally as "bleeding packages means asking for
trouble!"

So there is a high threshold for users not to blindly use the cvs
rpms, and to immediately disable the "bleeding" repo once used. This
is the normal usage of the myth cvs rpms.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net