[mythtv] Re: Propossed change to the ProgLister

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Mon May 17 04:22:45 EDT 2004

Bruce Markey wrote:

> J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>
>> By the way, this just went to me, or so it appears...  I'm cc'ing the
>> -dev list
>

> That's odd. The headers in the message I sent had:
>
> To: "J. Donavan Stanley" <jdonavan at jdonavan.net>, David Engel
> <gigem at comcast.net>
> CC: Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu>

/me puts down the crack pipe.

> but there is no reason the not post this to -dev .
>
>>> Actually, I like the idea of limiting the view to premium channels.
>>> A couple observations on this implementation though.
>>>
>>> To change, say, category views for a list with havePremiumChannels,
>>> the key strokes would be M,down,down,M rather than just M. I find
>>> that when I'm searching there is a very high ratio of pages viewed
>>> vs items set to record so it would make more sense to have Choose
>>> Category as the default at the top.
>>

>> That makes sense to me.  That was my biggest concern with this,
>> introducing extra button presses to what had been a single press action.
>

> It would still be two key strokes but I agree it would make more
> sense.
>
>>> The new override menus says "Edit Options" so that may be more
>>> consistent phrasing than "Edit Recording".
>>

>> Or maybe "Edit Recording Options" to be completely accurate?
>

> Possibly but what I guess I meant to suggest is to go to the
> conflicts page and press SELECT on a few different items to
> see the buttons that David is using. It would make sense to
> use the same text for the same option buttons in both places.

Ahh yes, but there all you have is recordings thus it's implied your
editing recording options.  If the "edit options" option only showed up
while an item was already scheduled to record that'd imply the same things.

>>> of views. I like the idea of using MENU, PREVVIEW and NEXTVIEW in
>>> a consistent way across the interface and hope we can move further
>>> in that direction. Limiting the items in the list box by premium
>>> channel is another "view" and adding another method of changing the
>>> view by adding another popup doesn't feel right.
>>

>> The problem is that doing it as another view results in double the
>> amount of views.  This is more like applying a filter against the
>> current view.
>
> I also want to pass the buck ,-) to David for the bigger picture
>
> Hold off until the next paragraph please...
>
>>> Another approach may be to add a special item at the top of the
>>> view list like the "<New Phrase>" on the keyword search pages. So
>>> maybe "<Premium Channels>" or "<All Channels>". Selecting this item
>>> would stay on the same category, keyword, or whatever but would
>>> change which channels are included in the view list. There would
>>> then be no need for an extra popup and all the other button options
>>> on jdonavan's popup could still be reached through RECORD, SELECT
>>> or INFO.
>>

> So I'm not suggesting doubling the number of views but rather just
> adding one special item to toggle between Premium and All. Only
> one more item and only when havePremiumChannels is true.

The evolution of this feature went something like: 1) Add a new search
type for "premiumMovies".  2) Modify the existing popup to add the
"premium channels only".  3) Add a new popup menu.

>> The popup menu also helps with usability IMO.  Fewer keys/buttons to
>> remember.
>

> Hey, that's what I was after, fewer keys/buttons to figure out.
> I must have failed to express what I meant.
>
> The Category popup currently has:
>
> +-----------------------+
> | Select Category       |
> |+---------------------+|
> ||Action:::::::::::::::||
> ||Adults only          ||
> ||Adventure            ||
> ||Animals              ||
>
> Add a special item at the top of the list:
>
> +-----------------------+
> | Select Category       |
> |+---------------------+|
> ||<Premium Channels>   ||
> ||Action:::::::::::::::||
> ||Adults only          ||
> ||Adventure            ||
> ||Animals              ||
>
> Press SELECT on "<Premium Channels>" and it would show all Action
> on commfree stations. Pressing MENU again should then have
> "<All Channels>" to switch back.
>
> The only new feature you're adding is switching between Premium and
> All which is a change of view sort of thing. If this was a special
> item on the existing view list popup, there would be no need for
> another popup, other buttons, extra keystrokes.

I really don't recall why I abandoned this route in the first place.