[mythtv] Re: Propossed change to the ProgLister

Oscar Carlsson oscar.carlsson at home.se
Mon May 17 03:55:09 EDT 2004

>>>This reminds me, do we really need both EditRecording and EditScheduled
>>>since EditRecording calls EditScheduled if the recording isn't scheduled?
>>

>> The big difference is that EditScheduled calls the simplified,
>> InfoDialog for scheduling if the user hasn't chosen to always use the
>> advanced recording dialog.  Personally, I would have no problem doing
>> away with InfoDialog, but I'm sure somebody would disagree.

BM> Not me. I've long believed that the InfoDialog doesn't really
BM> serve a purpose at this point other than it may appear to be
BM> simplier for a first time user to chose from just the basic
BM> record types. However, these days, setting priority, profile
BM> and start and end offsets are so integral that it is probably
BM> a disservice to new users to not expose these options. I believe
BM> that most users don't discover (or read in keys.txt) that they
BM> can get to thses other options by pressing INFO a second time.
BM> I think it would be better for everyone to see just the complete
BM> 'advanced options' page without the InfoDialog.

At least when it comes to my girlfriend, she just wants to simply select "Record
this"  and  it  does.  (Then  it's up to me to make sure that it really does get
recorded  ;).  I don't think removing it would be a good idea.. It would be cool
if  it'd popup a message letting the user know if there's a problem recording it
if  you  schedule  from  the simple menu.. And the alternative to priority boost
it.. heh :)

--
Best regards,
 Oscar                            mailto:oscar.carlsson at home.se