[mythtv] where to configure datadirect?

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Fri May 7 09:54:11 EDT 2004

Tako Schotanus wrote:

> Bruce Markey wrote:
>
>> Tako Schotanus wrote:
>>
>>> Even after reading al these posts about DataDirect and the link to
>>> the original anouncement I still don't really understand why
>>> DataDirect was made and who this is for. This is no comlaint or
>>> anything, I just don't understand and am curious. Anybody?
>>

>> What Ivan quoted...
>>
>> What it boils down to is that Zap2it correctly sees that it
>> is inefficient to have thousands of people each scraping hundreds
>> of web pages each night. There is more load on their servers and
>> no benefit to advertisers because no one is seeing any ads.
>>
>> Their solution is to bundle all the data in an XML format that
>> users can grab in one 'hit' if they register. Zap2it benefits
>> because there is less unnecessary traffic to their web servers
>> and they at least can gather demographic info from the registrations
>> and surveys. Users benefit because they get the data in seconds
>> rather than minutes, feel less like cheaters because they are
>> registered users rather than scraping web pages, and the data
>> is much more complete.
>>
>> So the data flow changes something like this:
>>
>> 0.14                   0.15
>>
>> TMS DB                 TMS DB
>>  v                      v
>> Zap2it DB              Zap2it DB
>>  v                      |
>> Zap2it web pages         |
>>  v                      |
>> XMLTV tv_grab_na         |
>>  v                      v
>> mythfilldatabase       mythfilldatabase
>>  v                      v
>> mythconverg DB         mythconverg DB
>>
>> So, now there is a lot of noise because XMLTV is trying to comply
>> with zap2it's wishes that users convert. Therefore they are trying
>> to force XMLTV users to use the tv_grab_dd for XMLTV reformatted
>> data.
>>
>> Funny thing is, we don't need XMLTV at all anymore if we can grab
>> the complete, unfiltered, unabridged, unreformatted data ourselves.
>> David Shay was interested in this and Isaac encouraged him to go
>> ahead and write a direct internal grabber.
>>
>> As a result, there is no dependency on Zap2it web pages, XMLTV,
>> it's pre-requisites, it's versions, it's arbitrary changes, it's
>> neglected data fields, etc.
>>
>> The complete DataDirect data may make some new features possible
>> and old ones more efficient but we need to be careful that every-
>> thing still works just fine for standard grabbers as well as the
>> new data.
>>
>> --  bjm

I just signed up for DataDirect. I have one question. I have basic cable
and Dish Network. Do I have to sign up for two DataDirect accounts so I
can configure one for each Video Source? I see DataDirect allows for
multiple lineups but don't know if Myth can use one account and load the
seperate lineups per Video Source.

- James