[mythtv] Any plans

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Mar 31 16:42:30 EST 2004

Chad Columbus wrote:
> Are there any plans to allow recording of "first run" shows like a tivo can do?

No. As someone else pointed out, that relies on the original
air date which is not available from XMLTV.

> i.e. Set-up separate recordings/priorities for first run shows vs. re-runs.

TiVo has no such feature of treating first run shows as separate
recordings/priorities. You can only have one Season Pass (same
as myth's kChannelRecord) that is ranked in the Season Pass
Manager. There is an option to the Season Pass to record "First
run and repeats", "First run only" or "All". "First run only"
may not necessarily work the way you'd expect. MythTV also has
duplicate matching which may work better for you in many instances.

The way TiVo works is that it only keeps track of previously
recorded shows for about 5 or 6 weeks then clears them out. If
you use "First run and repeats", the same episode will re-record
if it hasn't been recorded in the past several weeks so it will
re-record summer reruns for example.

"First run only" checks the original air date and will only record
if it was within the past 28 days. This means that it doesn't have
to record the very first showing but can record any showing in the
first 4 weeks. Once it records, it is in the old recording table
for 5 or 6 weeks so by the time it expires, it's been more than
28 days and is no longer eligible to record. I assume they do this
so they can limit the size of the old recording list.

Say you discover "Mythbuster". It's been on for two seasons and
they show new and old episodes throughout the week month after
month. By default with TiVo, you would see unique episodes at
first. However, after a couple months, it would re-record any
episode that you recorded more than a month and a half ago.
If you choose "First run only", It would record new episodes
from this season and not record them again but it would never
record last season's episodes that you haven't seen.

MythTV keeps things in the 'oldrecorded" table indefinitely (and
there are ways to add or remove entries). With myth, it would
record each episode, old and new, once and never record it again
unless you asked it to. If you are looking at the Conflict page
or the episode list for Mythbusters and see a description of
an episode that you'd seen before using myth, you can press
Enter and click "Never record this episode". If you see one that
you've recorded before but decide you'd like to see it again you
can click "Record it anyway". If you record an episode but the
recording was bad or part was missing or the station showed a
different show in that timeslot, press "i" and click the button
that says "Allow re-recording" (or what ever it says this week ;-).

> That way you have less conflicts and if you don't want re-runs can avoid them.

This is just as true in myth already as it is in TiVo. I actually
prefer myth's approach because TiVo will create MORE conflicts
because of re-recording re-runs that you have already seen than
myth will(!).

However, not only don't we have original air dates but XMLTV doesn't
pass along the unique database episode numbers. These are available
on the pages that they parse but they don't include them in their
output (Doh!). To compensate, myth has to try to match episodes
by doing string matches on the descriptive info. Attached is some
documentation for duplicate matching in 0.15.

Adam Biskobing wrote:
> I think this is a problem not so much with Myth, but with the program
> data received.

Absolutely correct.

>   Tivo's program data is marked with first run episodes,
> what we get from XMLTV is not.

There isn't a "mark" but a field that contains the original date.
the system figures out if that is recent enough. If you press
the button in the the bottom right corner marked "enter" while
on any show description page, there is a page listing all the
database fields that have info for that show.

Daniel Walton wrote:
> You sure?

I am =).

>  Because ReplayTV does this exact thing but it doesn't get any first

Certainly not "exact" and probably not even very similar ;-).

> run data in the guide.  It just looks for the "repeat" keyword at the
> beginning of the episode/description.

I think you're confusing how they present the information to
the user with how they decide if a showing should be given the
"repeat" marking that you see.

henri wrote:

> now, previouslyshown is not set for 100% of the shows, but
> it usually is for the primetime stuff on the broadcast
> stations in my area.

It may not be very useful though. Say a show is first run on
Tuesday then repeated on Friday. If there is a conflict for
Tue, I'd certainly want to record the Fri showing if possible.
I think this is why TiVo uses the airdate and a 4 week window
to consider something as new.

Adam Biskobing wrote:
> If I remember correctly that is a little different.  Previouslyshown is data
> gathered from Myth, and not from XMLTV.  I could be wrong about this, if so,
> someone please correct me.

Correction, you are wrong ;-). Previouslyshown is filled in from
xmltv data. MythTV's info about previously recorded shows is stored
in a table called "oldrecorded".

> even if it wasn't used for the scheduler it would be nice to
> have that info stored in recorded table

Well, that may be possible, however, after you've recorded
something, how valuable is it to know that the listing service
considered to be a repeat at the time you recorded it ;-) ?

--  bjm