[mythtv] MythGallery OpenGL problems

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 10:18:04 EST 2004

Moving this over from the -users list, as I think it might be something
with the way the MythGallery OpenGL transitions are written (or at
least initialized)

I recently rebuilt my existing Myth box, doing a bare-metal install of
Fedora (had been using RH8).  Pretty much a seamless transition, except
now the OpenGL transitions in MythGallery don't work.  Here's the
situation:

- Using GF4MX 420 with -4363 binary drivers from Nvidia
- OpenGL ***is working***!!!  TuxRacer runs fine, Goom works in
MythMusic, glxgears gives anywhere from 600 - 1000 fps.  I compiled
some of the OpenGL examples in the Qt distribution, and they seem to
work fine.
- Using ATrpms kernel & nvidia-4363 driver rpm from ATrpms
- Running Myth CVS from 3/15

The thing is, when I run mythgallery with opengl transitions enabled, it
doesn't crash.  I get no errors about GLX not being available.  It just
seems to run the transition with no hardware acceleration... I get only
a few frames/second.

This is just a shot in the dark, but IIRC mythgallery is currently the
only module to use the Qt OpenGL widget classes (I believe Goom is
straight OpenGL)... so my first thought was that it was a problem or
conflict w/Qt and my OpenGL installation... but the Qt example programs
seem to work fine.  Is it possible the mythgallery transitions are
missing some step in initializing OpenGL w/respect to Qt ?

Any help would be appreciated.

-JAC