[mythtv] Additional video out

Juha Pahkala juhis at trinity.is-a-geek.com
Mon Mar 8 09:40:27 EST 2004

I, for one, think that it would be a great idea to have some sort of api
for different kinds of plugins in mythtv. That way, it would be possible
to take advantage of other open source projects (sort of like ffmpeg, I
know =))

For example, there is library called libsoftmpeg being developed at
www.linuxtv.org, aimed at bringing top-notch mpeg2 decoding and output to
xv and directfb. Of course it's in its infancy atm, but once usable, could
pretty much be a perfect solution for lots of mythtv users with DVB or
HDTV cards. And as I understand, the library will be used by other PVR
projects as well. And once somebody possibly adds hw decoding or advanced
post-processing algorithms to it, they would automatically propagate to
all projects using the library. Wouldn't that make sense?

of course just my €0.02, don't know what it would take to implement such
an api and probably slightly frustrated after trying to make mythtv work
with directfb output for a month and not succeeding ;) btw, is anybody
maintaining the directfb port anymore?

best regards, juhis