[mythtv] Additional video out

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Mon Mar 8 08:04:01 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:05:06AM +0000, Simon at the Threshold wrote:
> I'm in a situation where my mythfrontend falls over when playing back or
> watching tv from my nova-t dvb-t cards where a stream error occurs.
> Whilst I'm quite glad the backend rarely falls over when this happens
> (unless the channel cannot be locked) I've not had much joy in my
> attempts at fixing this in the frontend.  Although as a workaround I use
> xine to playback the nuv files without problem (well ok a few flashes on
> the screen) but it survives.
>
> I was wondering what would the be technical chalenges implementing a
> xine-lib/mythtv video-out/audio-out module?.  I've had a look at some
> existing videoout classes and they don't appear to be rocket science but
>  I'm not sure from my code-surf how mythtv does its audio?

Simon,

I think fixing the decoder bugs is a better goal. Kenneth recently
posted some patches for the mpeg decoder which may well help with the
problem you are describing.

BTW, does anyone have any experience with high definition TV on Myth
(ie high-level MPEG)? I get nonstop errors from the decoder in the
frontend trying to watch it. I don't know if that's because it's having
problems with the sound (AC3 only, but I'm not using the AC3 passthrough
yet).

Hamish