[mythtv] Can't we use Bugzilla on mythtv.org to keep things a bitmore structured?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Tue Jun 29 06:50:34 EDT 2004

Dan Morphis wrote:

> Lucas Meijer wrote:
>
>>  Ronald van Eijck wrote:
>>
>> > The words I keep reading here are 'looking forward to your patch'.
>> > That might be a good method but I think that being more open to
>> > newcommers and not shutting the door in their face might actually
>> > benefit the project. These newcommers might one day add that
>> > wonderfull feature that the 'gods' had never thought about but will
>> > gladly use like all other users.
>>
>>  Couldn't agree more.
>>
> You know, when I first joined the mailing list, I did what just about
> every other newbie (to the project) has done. . .  I imposed my wishes
> on them.  I posted a wish list a mile long.  You know what I got?  I
> got an email that basicly said "sounds good, look forward to your
> patches".  At first I was a little taken a-back,  after coding all
> day, last thing I wanted to do was code some more.  But, after a
> little bit, I figured out that Isaac himself was a dev, and came home
> and coded on the project after work.  So, I got myself a little red
> tractor and pulled my head out of my *ss and realized that Isaac and
> the other main dev's aren't working for me.  They are working solely
> for themselves and their wives.  At that point in time, I came to the
> conclusion that if I wanted feature x, *I* would have to code it.
> Hence, the 15 - 20 patches I've sent in.

We know that, that wasn't the point of tis whole discussion, it's about
people maybe _wanting_  to help _you_ with your list. Of course this is
not about you and your list specifically, but about the fact that it
could be useful to have a list of issues (for example BugZilla, but
anything more structured than the current situation would do) that
people with a little time on their hand but no "pet peeves" could look
at and use to start working on Myth. This discussion is specifically
_not_ about people whining about "I want, I want, no I _need_ feature X!".

Cheers,
-Tako