[mythtv] MythFrontend Playback on PVR-350/Nvidia_nforce2/AMD2600

Dudley Atkinson dudley at jdatkinson.net
Fri Jun 25 10:43:57 EDT 2004

I posted to the Users list and hope to find a thread to pull here too.

I have a system with working hardware that in all manual tests will record
and playback audio and video without problem and at high quality.  It can be
configured for Xdisplays on either or both of the motherboard TV-out or the
PVR-350 composite/svideo.  Mythbackend will record programs when scheduled
by either MythWeb or Mythfrontend.  I can take the recorded video and "cat >
/dev/video16" and get the whole hour of playback without any problem at all.

I'm pretty sure that I've followed all of the available literature for
modules and such.  See listing at the end.

So I'm pretty happy, but I can't take the last step: playback on the
/dev/video16 port.  No matter the combination of enabled Xdisplays
(including no display, and using a remote display on another system to host
the X11 mythfrontend session), playback via MythTV fails.  I've had it do
this with all nvidia modules yanked, and with one or both of them in.  It
makes no difference to the playback problem.

The way that it fails is that the video starts to play (and looks very good
too).  Then after about 5 seconds the audio goes into a low-pithced
chirp/buzz and the audio hangs.

The sound card is an Audigy2.

Any ideas or pointers?

JD

----------------- lsmod ----------------------------------
jdvo root # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
uhci_hcd               28876  0
shpchp                 97836  0
pci_hotplug            32112  1 shpchp
forcedeth              12672  0
ehci_hcd               36932  0
ohci_hcd               28868  0
nvidia_agp              5788  1
usbcore               104988  5 uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
ivtv_fb                22712  0
bttv                  144492  0
video_buf              16772  1 bttv
btcx_risc               3848  1 bttv
lirc_i2c                8196  0
lirc_dev               13128  2 lirc_i2c
msp3400                28708  0
saa7127                12680  0
saa7115                12420  0
tuner                  17356  0
tveeprom                9888  0
ivtv                  860644  2 ivtv_fb

------------------ lspci -------------------------
jdvo root # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?)
(rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller
(rev a1)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio
Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev a2)
01:06.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2
Encoder (rev 01)
01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
01:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy MIDI/Game port (rev
04)
01:08.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX -
nForce GPU] (rev a3)
jdvo root #