[mythtv] Architectural suggestions

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 10:42:57 EDT 2004

On Friday 25 June 2004 10:04, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> >>
> >>You thieving baskstard! I was just writing a similar thing myself.
> >> At the moment, all my music vids are mirrored under my movies/TV
> >> dir (for MythVideo) and under my music directory, so I can play
> >> them back in MythVideo, btu I agere it'd be wicked if you could
> >> just play them through music (maybe it just calls on mPlayer/Xine
> >> a la MythVideo? That wouldn't do very well for transcoded ones
> >> recorded from the TV though...)
> >
> >Moving over from the -users list...
> >
> >Actually, what I'd like to see is for the core Myth module handle
> > almost all media playback.  The embedded ffmpeg/avformat/avcodec
> > code can
>
> [snip]
>
> Isn't this what MFD is being developed as?  It's in CVS but "not
> ready for primetime".

Well, it's certainly a step in the right direction, but (1) I don't
believe that MFD supports (or is even planned to support) video, and
(2) mythfrontend would need to be architecturally modified (heavily, I
think), at least for the video aspect of things.  Audio is not such a
big deal in the frontend because it's not *too* difficult for a
separate thread/process to maintain audio output.  It's really the
video aspect that takes quite a bit more thought, IMHO.  Which isn't to
say that I'm not looking forward to the fruits of Thor's labor; I guess
I'm just thinking out loud for the next step after that...

-JAC