[mythtv] RE: [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Wed Jun 23 04:58:13 EDT 2004


Gary Lerhaupt wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 17:23, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>  
>
>>Most of the developers, and 
>>Isaac for sure, want as much distance between Myth and this tool.
>>    
>>
>
>All I can do is to continue to develop on my own (and any who wish to
>help) in order to prove to you that Torrentocracy will not
>enable/promote/encourage the illegal trading of media.  There is a
>larger picture here and its called the public domain.  Perhaps if you
>reconsider the value of this in the future, you'll reconsider your
>distance.
>  
>

The problem is that while you or I might use such a tool for public 
domain and other legal content the vast majority will not.   
Tottentocracy, and by extension myth, will be "that thing you can run on 
your TV and steal TV shows" in the eyes of the masses.  We'll attract 
new users for no reason other than the lure of sharing HDTV content.   
So no I don't think the distance will be reconsidered, considering that 
people are already talking about sharing HDTV content there's not enough 
public domain stuff out there that I need BT on my TV.


More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list