[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] torrentocracy = rss + bit torrent + myth

Gary Lerhaupt gary at lerhaupt.com
Sun Jun 20 15:35:22 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 06:42, Charles Lavin wrote:
> This is sweet.  I'm a torrent junky.  I use it to download legally taped
> concerts.  Now if we could only get shn support in mythmusic.

I know it's a pain, but what I do is convert to wav and then convert to
flac.  It takes some time to do after a download, but it usually
compresses better anyway.

> I personally use azureus for all my torrent downloads.  If you haven't
> checked it out it is at http://azureus.sf.net.  It already includes a
> nice swing web interface and can automatically start torrents in a
> specific directory.  So here is what I did.
>
> 1.  Installed Torrentocracy
> 2.  Installed the Swing Web Interface plugin for Azureus
> 3.  Configured Azureus to automatically start torrents in the
> /var/lib/torrentocracy/active directory
> 4.  Added a link to the Swing web interface in MythWeb
>
> Now I'm able to start my torrents(torrentocracy), download my
> torrents(azureus), and control my torrents(swing interface and mythweb)
> all from inside the Myth.

Very cool.  My future plans for torrentocracy are to add similar
handling.  After a torrent completes, I'm going to have it make a copy
of the content outside the /active directory.  This will allow you to
both enjoy the content you've downloaded while still remaining active in
the torrent as a seeder.  There will then be a further option to leave
the torrent all-together.  It's good to see the this app fills the gaps
I haven't gotten to yet.

> Here's a screenshot of the swing web interface in mythbrowser
> http://www.charleylavin.com/azureus.png
>
> Here's a picture of the swing web interface in myth browser fullscreen
> on my tv
> http://www.charleylavin.com/tv.jpg
>
> Azureus also has a RSS Reader plugin.  With this plugin you can read
> feeds and start torrent downloads automatically by filter.  A similar
> feature in torrentocracy would be great although redundant for those who
> use azureus.

Automatic downloads would certainly be a great feature.  What sorts of
filters does azureus allow for? One stumbling block is that I'd have to
figure out how to get it to check for new feeds even when you haven't
started up Torrentocracy in Myth.  This is much like MythTV's ability to
record programs even though you aren't actually currently running the TV
portion of Myth.  It would also be good to add a "mark as read/mark as
unread" ability to all RSS entries.

> I also noticed that you frequent e-tree.  Do they have a news feed for
> their torrents or archieve?
>
> Thanks for the great addition to Myth!

Glad to see some good use out of this.  I'm trying to lobby etree to add
an RSS feed for bt.etree.org.  But since I don't know any of them, this
may take time.  In the meantime, I've added a "Suggest a Torrent" button
to the torrentocracy.com webpage
(http://www.torrentocracy.com/suggest.shtml).  As I just got enclosure
support working for the RSS, I'll likely feature a Daily Torrent on the
Torrentocracy blog.  Please feel free to drop me your suggested (legal)
torrents there.

Thanks,
Gary