[mythtv] [Draft] Filter documentation.

Steven Cruysberghs steven.cruysberghs at tiscali.be
Tue Jan 27 10:08:47 EST 2004

> > guess adding something in the docs about deinterlacing and tv out
> > would be appropriate. As I get it if your TV out signal is
> interlaced
> > you shouldn't use a deinterlace filter, if tv out is hardware
> > deinterlaced (like the Pundit sis TV-out) quality improves
> if you also
> > use a software deinterlace filter.
>
> Funny, I've been mucking around with the same hardware you
> speak of (Asus Pundit).
>
> AFAIK, the thing with tv-out is that you normaly output your
> captured interlaced lines on the same lines on your tv-out,
> so it won't show on your TV (because it's basicly the same
> stream). The Asus Pundit though can't do overscan far enough
> to get this result, so you need to deinterlace.
>
> At least I think that is the case in the USA, NTSC has 480
> scanlines, so setting your tv-out res to ???x480 would work there.
>
> About the filters, in MythTV 0.13 my backend and/or frontend
> crashes when I try to set a channel specific filter. I guess
> this is known behaviour and fixed in the upcomming v0.14?

I'm using CVS and the filter stuff seems to work just fine.

> btw, Pundit question: what resolution do you use for tv-out
> and for capturing? Mine has a Celeron 2.4GHz, but the maximum
> 720x576 PAL capture res. is a bit too much. I now capture at
> 640x480 which works quite well. I just got the highest res.
> S-Video-out working, but I think I might go back to 640x480.
> I've set 'kerneldeint' in the playback settings, but I'd like
> to have that applied before encoding it to MPEG4.

I'm capturing 720x576 without problems with a celeron 2.4 but I'm using
a PVR250... My TV out is also set to 720x576 (PAL). Untill now I was
using the standard deinterlace playback option (do you know what filter
that option uses?) but I'll try switching this to kerneldeint.