[mythtv] [Draft] Filter documentation.

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Tue Jan 27 09:28:55 EST 2004

> Van: Steven Cruysberghs <steven.cruysberghs at tiscali.be>
>
> ---
> Playback filter are per-host and apply to any recording you watch from
> the frontend where filters have been applies. From "mythfrontend" go to
> Setup->TV Settings->Playback. Enter your filter string in the box titled
> "Custom Filters".
> ---
>
> Maybe a line could be added on how custom filters work together with the
> deinterlace and other output options on this screen? I tried figuring
> this one out but I'm still unsure after some experiments.
> I guess adding something in the docs about deinterlacing and tv out
> would be appropriate. As I get it if your TV out signal is interlaced
> you shouldn't use a deinterlace filter, if tv out is hardware
> deinterlaced (like the Pundit sis TV-out) quality improves if you also
> use a software deinterlace filter.

Funny, I've been mucking around with the same hardware you speak of (Asus
Pundit).

AFAIK, the thing with tv-out is that you normaly output your captured
interlaced lines on the same lines on your tv-out, so it won't show on your
TV (because it's basicly the same stream). The Asus Pundit though can't do
overscan far enough to get this result, so you need to deinterlace.

At least I think that is the case in the USA, NTSC has 480 scanlines, so
setting your tv-out res to ???x480 would work there.

About the filters, in MythTV 0.13 my backend and/or frontend crashes when I
try to set a channel specific filter. I guess this is known behaviour and
fixed in the upcomming v0.14?

btw, Pundit question: what resolution do you use for tv-out and for
capturing? Mine has a Celeron 2.4GHz, but the maximum 720x576 PAL capture
res. is a bit too much. I now capture at 640x480 which works quite well. I
just got the highest res. S-Video-out working, but I think I might go back
to 640x480. I've set 'kerneldeint' in the playback settings, but I'd like
to have that applied before encoding it to MPEG4.

	Henk Poley <><