[mythtv] Conflict resolution

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Jan 2 07:59:22 EST 2004

I'm a bit confused how conflict resolution is working - since upgrading
Myth it's been trying to automagically resolve conflicts between programs
of the same priority.  I can't really see what criteria it's using to
resolve the conflicts, but it seems to be generally quite bad - I've been
missing shows because Myth is basically blind guessing at what I want to
record rather that hilighting the conflicting shows in the "fix scheduling
conflicts" screen and letting me pick them myself.

>From looking through the code, there seems to be a "doautoconflicts"
parameter for the Scheduler::FillRecordLists() function which toggles this
option.  As far as I can tell there's no user configurable setting (why?).
The function is called from main.cpp with doautoconflicts set to false,
but then called from Scheduler::RunScheduler() without setting it so it
defaults to true, I don't understand what should be happening here but it
doesn't seem at all right.

I can understand the case for having some intelligent conflict resolution
in the case that the user neglects to resolve the conflict themselves, but
shouldn't it still hilight the conflicts to make it obvious to the user
that there is a conflict there which could be manually resolved?  In any
case, shouldn't this be configurable rather than just assuming that the
user would prefer Myth to automatically make a mess of the resolution
rather then them doing it themselves.  It seems to me there is no way to
automatically resolve the conflicts between equal priority programs
because by their very nature they are both as important as eachother so
the user must make a decision themselves.

For now I have modified RunScheduler() on my system to set doautoconflicts
to false, which has returned my system to the old (IMHO far more sane)
behaviour, but this is obviously not the solution, if a user doesn't want
Myth to make (probably invalid) assumptions about what they want to watch
shouldn't they have the option of turning it off without resorting to
hacking the source?

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/