[mythtv] Anyone working on direct MPEG2 encoding?

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Thu Jan 1 17:09:23 EST 2004

Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> > The only problem with direct mpeg2 encoding is that it's
> > SLOW...  Even my dual athlon can't do realtime mpeg2
> > encoding with tmpgenc, the fastest encoder that I know of.
> > But support for other encoding formats would definitely be
> > cool.
> >
> If you hang around on the transcode mailing lists there is
> occasionally discussion on making go mpeg2enc and the like
> go really quickly. Seems that tweaking a couple of flags
> makes a HUGE difference.

I think this also goes for the ffmpeg encoder, i.e. tweaking some flags
has great impact on quality, but makes the encoder somewhat relatively
slower. I know I had some tests done by one of the developers over at
ffmpeg-devel at one time, but seem to have lost them, I bet a
`performance test`|`quality test` query on the ffmpeg-devel list archive
would reveal them though.

Kenneth