[mythtv] Anyone working on direct MPEG2 encoding?

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Thu Jan 1 17:00:36 EST 2004

Hi,

Chris Petersen wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure nobody is working on this, and I would really
> > like to see this as a feature, as long as the fact that
> > (for the most part) what you reffer to as mpeg2 encoding,
> > would become libavcodec supported encoding. This would also
> > have the side effect (if i'm not mistaken) of adding (with
> > a little effort) support for this to mythtranscode.
>
> The only problem with direct mpeg2 encoding is that it's SLOW...  Even
> my dual athlon can't do realtime mpeg2 encoding with tmpgenc, the
> fastest encoder that I know of.  But support for other encoding
formats
> would definitely be cool.

Hmm, you're saying something important here. But as Edward mentions in
another post in this thread, the ffmpeg is quite fast, and not focused
on quality (?). I'm unsure of what speed tmpgenc has against ffmpeg, but
some processing power is needed, yes. As a sidenote, I'm having trouble
reaching realtime on transcode from mpeg2 to xvid on my dual mp2.4k, but
then again that would include mpeg2 decompressing. I would suspect tho,
that mpeg2 encoding might be usefull if the bitrate of the output was
minimized, or is the encoder just as SLOW when decreasing bitrate?

> Not sarcasm.  I've been waiting for this feature for as long
> as I first started trying to encode svcd in linux.

Ahh, sorry then, I reverse my previous statement!

Kenneth