[mythtv] Re: ALSA "fixes" actually break stuff in CVS?

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Wed Dec 15 08:11:44 UTC 2004

Hi,

Some more info on this.
With the "soundcard_buffer_size = info.bytes;" line in the code,
which looks correct to me, my system exhibits bi-stable
behaviour.

Sometimes MythTv runs fine without juddering and sometimes
it starts this juddering. It seems that there is an unstable
timing control issue in "AudioOutputBase::OutputAudioLoop".
This would be affected by other timings, hence others may
not see the problem ...

When juddering the CPU usage goes from about 18% to 95%.
One little point, which may not be related, I am running MythTv
as root. This means that some threads are running as real-time
threads. I believe that a small usleep() in a real-time thread
is implemented as a CPU loop ...

I will further delve into this issue as time permits.

Terry