[mythtv] improvement to MythMusic RIP location

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 18:12:06 UTC 2004

On Friday 10 December 2004 12:44, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:56 -0600, Mark Friedgan wrote:
> > How many artists/albums do you have? I've got about 100 gigs and
> > plan on having about 300. It's hard! Anyone else agree?
>
> I've got at least 500 CDs that I intend to rip (not sure what that'll
> be in gigs)... I've got around 200 albums already as ogg and the
> current interface isn't bad but it is getting a little unwieldy.

Personally, I feel that if you're going to be doing that much ripping,
you're probably better off doing it on your desktop with a program
better-suited to handling it (I use gRip).  The mythmusic ripper was
never really intended for high-volume use, and I'd argue that that is
the correct position to take.  A lot of media appliances (like the MVP)
take this approach; they provide you with desktop PC software to manage
your media, and let the appliance focus on its intended use: playback &
navigation.  In this case, Myth is the appliance software, and since it
uses open standards, you can use whatever you want to manage your
collection.

-JAC