[mythtv] Nintendo64 and/or Genesis

Spam Catcher spamcatcher at rogers.com
Mon Dec 6 18:26:08 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Friedgan" <hubrix at gmail.com>
To: <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 1:03 PM
Subject: [mythtv] Nintendo64 and/or Genesis
> How hard would it be to add a nintendo64 or genesis emulator to mythgame?

    Personally, I'm not that enthused by the N64 emulation on linux right
now (actually, on Windows either), so I don't even know if it'd be worth it.

    But for now, what I've done for Genesis emulation, is compiled xmess,
created an executable script in /usr/games/bin called xmessgenesis and
filled it with the following:

    /usr/games/bin/xmess.x11 genesis -cart "$1"

    I did the same for nes emulation, since I haven't been able to find an
emulator that does everything I want it to.  Since I have xmame working
perfectly, I figured xmess would be just as easy to get working the way I
needed it to, and I was, surprisingly enough, right.

    So what I did, is where it asks for Odyssee2 executables, and roms, I
just pointed it at my 'genesis' emulator, and it runs that way.

   Furthermore, I actually just used sed to replace every occurance of
Odyssee2 with genesis in the mythgame source, so when I browse the gametree,
genesis shows up, but that's a temporary solution, and one I just did on my
own because I'm a bit daft.

    What I'd actually like to see is an option in mythgame to let you handle
your xmame configuration, in otherwords, turn off all the flags that
mythfrontend sends to xmame, as I use an HTPC hooked up to an HDTV via a
VGA-Component video connection, and as such, I have to tinker with the
mamerc file to get xmame to work exactly the way I want it.

    Unfortunately, I am not even remotely a coder, so I wouldn't be able to
help out with such things even if I wanted to...which I do...I'd love to
contribute to the mythtv project in some way...

    Lemme know if you have other questions that I might be able to help
with!  It's so rare that someone asks something that I can answer!