[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Mon Apr 19 15:21:25 EDT 2004

David Engel wrote:

>Program titles are also used as database keys in some places.

Yes, and it's a flaw. I've had lots of missed recordings, because the
title changed, e.g. " -- " to " - " or caps changes. The only reason why
titles are used is because there is no other way, because data sources
usually don't give an ID for programs (e.g. a whole series, an episode
etc.). If it were possible to use integer IDs instead of string
matching, I'd advocate that also (and probably submit a patch).

(I heard Bruce saying that DD delivers such IDs for the USA? That'd be
great and I wish all sources did that.)

Bruce Markey wrote:

> Your grabber falls short on this last point and maybe you should check
> with the XMLTV project

The grabber does not "fall short". As Tako already explained so nicely,
we don't have a callsign for a number of channels, and it doesn't make
sense to make one up. The current XMLTV spec doesn't even give a way to
express it, only "<display-name>" "for humans to refer to the channel".