[mythtv] Stop recording patch and some small fixes

Philippe C.Cattin cattin at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 18 15:59:37 EDT 2003

> But there are a couple of things that I have no answer to:
> 1. maybe there is already something like the SimpleMythPopup that I just
> don't know about (but then again, neither did the playbackbox' original
> author in that case (you?)). If so please tell me so I can take my stuff
> out and use whatever is the standard.
> 2. if nothing like it exists it could maybe be useful to others and
> should therefore be moved to a more central place, but that's up to you
> to decide I think.
> 3. right now I haven't even put the class in its own file! I feel
> strongly that it should at least be put in its own files but then again
> you might feel even stronger about _not_ doing that ;-)

I had a similar idea while adding more features to my mythbrowser
module. I just didn't have enough buttons to map all the features I
wanted to the keyboard. I thus came to the conclusion that some kind of
popup menu is needed.

I thus like Tako's idea very much but I would go even a step further:

Here comes my vision of a myth popup menu:

- Menuitems should not only be limited to Labels/Images but it should
   also be possible the e.g. change their value with the left/right
   buttons. In particular I thought of

     + binary option with a checkmark
     + value options such as volume/brightness/color/zoom-level...

   this way we would for example control the livetv settings without all
   the F-keys from a simple menu!

- Here comes the real nice part! It should be possible to map each menu
   items left/right actions to a key via a text config file. The user can
   therefore map e.g. the volume control to two keys of his choice on the
   keyboard and therefore define some kind of a short-cut to the menu. If
   one could subsequently hide such a keyboard-mapped option from the
   popup menu would of course be nice too.

If all myth keyboard actions are defined in such a popup menu, that can
tailer it to his needs and to suit his remote. It should even be
possible to control myth with only the cursor keys, a menu key and the
activation key.

I posted the same text on a new thread called 'MythPopupMenu' because I
think the issue is to important to be burried in a deeply nested thread.

regards, Philippe