[mythtv] Wintry Mix ?

Bruce C.Dillahunty bdillahu at peachbush.com
Sun Sep 14 21:11:40 EDT 2003

I'll give a few of these a shot :-)

I wonder if these vary any region to region?

Bruce

> * What kind of weather is "Wintry Mix" ?  Is it snow/rain mixed ?

I believe so...

> * Does "Sct" stand for "Scattered" ?

Yes.

> * What is "Flurries" ?  Isn't that something you buy at McDonald's ?
> No,
> seriously, it has something to do with winds, doesn't it ?

Little "flurries" of snow... just a few flakes blowing in the wind...
doesn't really imply wind, implies just a few flakes of snow...

> * T-Storms is the same as Thunderstorms, isn't it ?

Yes.

> * An expression like "Snow to Rain", does that mean that the weather
> is slowly
> changing between Snow and Rain ?  First it snows for a while and then
> it will
> shift into rain ?

Yes, changing from snow to rain (as the temperature rises, usually).

> * Smoke ?  Is that some kind of fog ?  Smog ?

In some areas of the country, they mean smoke (as in fire)... if there
are large fields/woods around that are prone to fire, or other natural
or manmade situations (factories) that can cause low hanging smoke.

> * What can I expect when the forcast says "Ice" ?  Does that mean that
> there
> are going to be ice on the roads or do ice come down from the sky,
> like hail
> ?

This may be regional... I've seen this mean both, and then some... Ice
on the roads, freezing rain (falls as water and freezes when it hits
objects/the ground that is below freezing, or falling "ice"... I don't
know the proper name, but we have had "snow" that is pretty much tiny
pieces of ice, instead of snowflakes... what a mess... doesn't blow
around/shovel off.

> My weather-english (especially) obviously need improvement.

Sounds like you're pretty close to me... thanks for your work.

Bruce