[mythtv] 'recommendations' section

Kirby Vandivort kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 14 09:54:58 EDT 2003

> I haven't looked at this code yet, but what type of brain do you
> envision?  Will it be solely based on the single user's viewing habits,
> or do we want to attempt some type of collaborative system, like
> Amazon's recommendations?  If you want to go collaborative there are all
> sorts of details to work out, but I'd be more than willing to help.

As I had mentioned in the text below, I have definitely planned to
go collaborative at some point.  We had a discussion about this
already in the user list back in June..

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=68579;search_string=collaborative%20filtering;guest=1176344&t=search_engine#68579

Right now, the code is purely based on what one person is interested in.
For me, it is doing 'ok' right now.  It's giving a bit too much emphasis
to some words, so I have to go back in and rein that back a bit.  I had
a version during testing that seemed to be giving better answers, so
I'm going to go back and find that version and tweak the current numbers.

Posted from foofoo:
> I also think its a great idea!.
> by the way: IMDB actually has a "if you liked that you might wanna watch
> that" field than might be a starting point.

Good to know.  The IMDB database can be downloaded and used for non
commercial purposes (I'm quoting their licensing terms from memory.
I could be wrong).  Perhaps this could go on the collab filter server
as a starting point.

--

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Email: kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu          3051 Beckman Institute