[mythtv] MythTV backend/frontend protocol question

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sun Nov 23 00:04:56 EST 2003

On Saturday 22 November 2003 02:14 pm, Torbjörn Jansson wrote:
> What happends to the ringbuffer when the channel is changed? Is it reset so
> the data restarts from the begining of the file? (That's what it looks
> like) Is there any way of setting the channel before sending "SPAWN_LIVETV"
> ?

Essentially, the buffer gets nulled out, but it doesn't completely
re-initialize the player, as I've pretty much said that .nuv can't change
format mid-stream.  'Course, that may have to change at some point
(transcoding from mpeg-2, for instance).  Can't you just make the filter seek
to the 0 position?  Should be fine that way.

> During the development I have been able to make the backend crash a number
> of times, for example:
> * Sending the command "DONE".
> * Trying to change channel when livetv is not started.
> * Terminating the program that accesses the backend at the wrong time. I
> asume that the backend don't like having the sockets closed and/or geting
> socket errors at the wrong time.

Backtraces would be cool.

Isaac