[mythtv] MythTV backend/frontend protocol question

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sat Nov 22 14:14:58 EST 2003

What happends to the ringbuffer when the channel is changed? Is it reset so
the data restarts from the begining of the file? (That's what it looks like)
Is there any way of setting the channel before sending "SPAWN_LIVETV" ?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to develop a directshow filter
that will communicate with mythbackend to get data, but I'm having some
problems with channel changing.
It looks like mythbackend starts to write at the beginning of the ringbuffer
after a channel change and it also overwrites the file header.
The problem is that since it resets to the beginning of the file, the filter
downstream (in this case the nuv spliter filter I did) needs to be
reconnected so it reads at the right position, but that can't happen if
there is no file header.

During the development I have been able to make the backend crash a number
of times, for example:
* Sending the command "DONE".
* Trying to change channel when livetv is not started.
* Terminating the program that accesses the backend at the wrong time. I
asume that the backend don't like having the sockets closed and/or geting
socket errors at the wrong time.

(btw I'm using mythtv 0.12 and not the cvs version)