[mythtv] 4:3 Zoom code changed?

Steve Davies steve at one47.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 15:50:33 EST 2003

Doug Larrick wrote:

> Aha!  I think I see the problem.  The video is 16:9 aspect ratio, but
> the pixels that make it up are (roughly) 4:3.  I will give some thought
> to how to fix this tonight when I have some time.  Do you have such a
> video somewhere I could download it for testing purposes?
>
> -Do
> ug

This sounds like "Anamorphic" by my understanding.

While people are playing with this code, could I throw in a feature request?

I have a 16:9 television, but the video card will only output 4:3. The "best"
way IMHO to output the image in this case is anamorphically (I think I
understand anamorphic correctly ;-) ). The television then stretches
horizontally so that the aspect ratio all gets fixed up. I believe this
results in the least data-loss at the screen.

I believe that MythTV could do with 2 anamorphic settings (3 if you include
"off"):

No cropping allowed:
4:3 source data - Shrink to 3/4 size horizontally.
16:9 source data - Stretch vertically by 4/3.
Anamorphic source data - Display unscaled.

Cropping allowed:
4:3 source data - Stretch vertically by 4/3, cropping excess.
16:9 source data - Stretch vertically by 4/3.
Anamorphic source data - Display unscaled.

On a widescreen TV that is set to stretch horizontally, this then displays
correctly. On a 4:3 television, it looks pretty weird :-)

I also noticed that a 16:9 source file sets the output to 16:9 mode by
default, but that the register that stores the current mode for the 'w' key
does not reflect this. This means that pressing 'w' for the first time does
nothing for a 16:9 source file.

I hope that all makes sense!

Regards,
Steve

Steve Davies                   steve at one47.co.uk

PGP Fingerprints:
DH/DSS : 5D85 8164 91D7 E9CC 4F80  842B AB86 93D9 8938 7612
RSA    :      4E2E E60F 3D76 9E7E  70F9 901B 70FA 56C8
RSA4096: 02BE 5C0E EFA2 E1E4 EA89  C9CC 1E4F F654 3BC7 B65E