[mythtv] conflict resolution vs priorities

Shawn Edwards sedwards at theedwards.org
Thu May 29 15:02:35 EDT 2003

Personally, I would not want my myth box to make any assumptions for me,
even if I gave it general input on how to resolve them.  I really like
the lack of priorities myself.  It's just a preference thing.

For example, there are three shows that I enjoy that all share the same
timeslot (grr...).  I have to choose every week which show I want to see
(only have one tuner card).  So, every Wednesday, I choose.  It's
week-to-week which show I want to see.  A preference device would not
help me.

All I would want is a way for me to be notified in advance that there
are conflicts in the future.  I'm a firm beleiver in being notified that
I need to deal with something rather than trying to maintain overly
complex rulesets, or, even worse, constantly modifying rulesets.

Would a mythnotify kind of thing make sense here?  Something that you
can schedule in cron that would look X days in advance and tell you
(email, sms, carrier pidgeon) if there are any unresolved conflicts?

Just a thought.  Might have to dust off my c++ and hack at this one...