[mythtv] conflict resolution vs priorities

Jeff Nuckles coincapital at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 10:18:47 EDT 2003

Ok, I'm assuming one of the goals of mythtv is to
produce something that requires as little user
intervention as possible, right?

If this is the case why is the concept used for
deciding what to record and how to record it set up
with the premise that I need to go in and frequently
check to make sure that its doing what I want and
"Override" the system? Does this not seem
counterproductive? All of this programming to resolve
conflicts, and I still have to manually check up on
it. It also currently uses the tuner available on the
master before any other...seems kind of an arbitrary
decision.

The code in scheduler.cpp is 90% for resolving
conflicts automatically, yet im still expected to
'keep an eye on' the conflict list?

There should not be a need for this, the most
important (highest priority) recording should be
recorded on the highest priorty card that has that
channel. period. If there are no more tuners then the
low priorty programs do not get recorded. Yes it would
be nice to still see a list of what will be recorded
and when.

Am I the only one who thinks this? Everyone just seems
to keep coming up with ways of making the conflict
resolution system more complex when changing the
system would seem to be a better alternative.

And before anyone replies with "do it yourself". I
started to look into it but I can't make sense of the
whole confict setup that exists now and my c++ is a
little rusty.

Jeff