[mythtv] pthread issues? memory leaking?

Gerald Britton gbritton at doomcom.org
Wed Mar 19 08:56:10 EST 2003

Hi.  I recently started poking at MythTV and it looks pretty good but I
have run into a few issues.  I find that it tends to lockup in the program
guide.

My setup has a separated frontend and backend.  Both are running Red Hat
8.0, and I've been using the current CVS version of mythtv.

When scrolling down the guide, it loads the channel logos on demand.
Tracing through the code, I see that each one spawns up a FileTransfer
object which spawns a thread to its work.  These FileTransfer objects
appear to never be garbage collected (perhaps there are other things where
this is a problem), the process grows in size to about 1.8GB of address
space in SIZE (the RSS is only a few meg though).  Then pthread_create()
fails with EAGAIN and mythbackend locks waiting for the thread to start
(since it ignores any error from pthread_create).  Has anybody else run
into this issue?

USER       PID %CPU %MEM     VSZ  RSS   TTY STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root     21228  1.4  1.2  544492 6704 pts/5    S 19:50   0:00 mythbackend
root     21151  0.0  1.3 1855888 6904 pts/5    S 19:46   0:00 mythbackend

The first of these is mythbackend right after starting, the second is when
it's frozen up after a thread failed to start.  Does anybody else have
mythbackend growing to these huge sizes?

				-- Gerald