[mythtv] Re: Adding DVB-T support to MythTV

Tue Mar 18 14:52:25 EST 2003

I just posted some notes on DVB to myth-users because I couldn't remember where I had seen this thread.

There seems to be an easy and a hard way to do this.  The easy way is to use a pipe against the mpg stream (I think you can even use mjpeg tools for this?).  You would then need a fairly simple unix sockets application to emulate the receiving socket.  I think something simple could be knocked up in perl, but I wonder if it wouldn't cause synchronisation problems with audio (assuming audio is actually decoded?).  Buffering problems would also be an issue I guess.

The hard but better way would be to bypass the decode and re-encode step altogether.  This will require a change to myth (possibly substantial if adding an mpeg decoder is not straightforward).  Basically myth can avoid reading from /dev/video0, encoding and putting into the record file, but reading directly from /dev/dvb.  However, on playback it will then be decoding mpeg whereas the current system only appears to decode mjpeg or MPEG4 (is that right?)

The DVB project is doing exactly this and quote use of a AMD 450Mhz machine, so resources are obviously a lot lower if you don't need to encode (and quality is probably a lot higher by avoiding the redundant decode/encode step).

Sounds like an interesting project anyway.