[mythtv] numeric keys for EPG navigation

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 31 01:36:58 EST 2003

Erik Arendse wrote:
> At 31-1-03 01:14, Bruce Markey wrote:
> My idea:
> - map functions to a key you like on the keyoard
> - reserve a (for yourself) 'useless' keyset to be used one-on-one with
> your remote buttons (think ctrl-shift A-Z or something)
> - map you remote buttons with lirc to the 'useless' keyset for mythtv
> - now you can map buttons from your remote by using the 'useless' set,
> combining functions on a single key even though on the keyboard you use
> separate keys.
> I want to implement a non-limited list of keys definable for each
> function, that way you could for instance map up, ctrl-up, shift-up,
> grey-up, 'u', 'Q', 'W' to the function KEY_EPG_ROWUP, and map your
> remote buttons 'program up' and 'cursor up' to keyboard 'Q' and 'W'.

I read this several times to see if there was something
implicit that I didn't grasp. I think your idea of multiple
keys to a function makes sense. However, it's not clear to
me how/if you will have one key map to several functions.

If I'm at a keyboard, I want the right arrow to do several
things. Can I assume that right arrow can be mapped to
KEY_MENU_RIGHT, KEY_EPG_TIME_FORWARD KEY_LIVE_FASTFORWARD,
etc.? These don't conflict since they are in different
contexts. How would you avoid a user error of assigning
a key to two functions that may occur in the same context?

> If you know any situation I wouldn't cover with this setup please give
> me a shout.

This may not be a problem but I wonder what happens when
a new function is added? You may not be able to use a
default key binding since it may interfere with the user's
customizations. How does the user discover there is a new
function label that she needs to bind to a key?

--  bjm