[mythtv] numeric keys for EPG navigation

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Fri Jan 31 08:55:35 EST 2003

At 31-1-03 01:14, Bruce Markey wrote:
>I don't think the problem is separating out the the keys
>but rather overloading the uses of a small set of keys.
>It seems that lirc remaps remote keys to emulate keystrokes
>so having two mappings may just make thing more complicated.

My idea:
- map functions to a key you like on the keyoard
- reserve a (for yourself) 'useless' keyset to be used one-on-one with your
remote buttons (think ctrl-shift A-Z or something)
- map you remote buttons with lirc to the 'useless' keyset for mythtv
- now you can map buttons from your remote by using the 'useless' set,
combining functions on a single key even though on the keyboard you use
separate keys.

>In addition to the minimum defined key set that you must have,
>there should also be optional up1, down1, up2, down2, right1,
>left1, etc. mapped to +,-, <,> or whatever. This would allow
>extra conveniences in different contexts to be overloaded
>onto the same keys rather than using a new key for each new
>function.

I want to implement a non-limited list of keys definable for each function,
that way you could for instance map up, ctrl-up, shift-up, grey-up, 'u',
'Q', 'W' to the function KEY_EPG_ROWUP, and map your remote buttons
'program up' and 'cursor up' to keyboard 'Q' and 'W'.

This way all discussions how it _should_be_ could be replaced with
individual setups...

If you know any situation I wouldn't cover with this setup please give me a
shout.

Erik