[mythtv] PVR on the Cheap

Joseph Stump joe at joestump.net
Wed Jan 22 20:36:47 EST 2003

I've been looking into building a solid PVR box when I realized that
maybe I was getting out of hand in my hardware selection. So far I've
only purchased the Matrox G400-TV and a Samsung DVD-CDRW drive.

I'm wondering if it's possible to build a "suitable" (ie. I *may*
record while watching, but most likely won't) PVR solution. I'm more
looking to use MythTV as an all-in-one wonder for MAME, MP3, DVD, and
PVR. PVR will mostly be used for recording shows when I'm not able to
watch TV.

So my question is this: What would people recommend for "bare-bones"?

I would like to think that if I'm not watching TV I could get by with a
pretty small machine. Also, I'd like to put more money into a nice
case, cooling/silencing mods, etc. since I don't have a need for
complex PVR abilities.

--Joe

Joe Stump - joe at joestump.net
http://www.jerum.com
"Software never has bugs. It just develops random features."