[mythtv] Box Processor Limits

Jeff McDonald jeff at cloud9.net
Mon Jan 20 20:06:35 EST 2003

From:  http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html

MythTV is a software video encoder, which means that it uses a fairly
generic "dumb" video capture card to get frames of video, encodes them
using the CPU on your motherboard and writes them to disk. High-end
video capture cards and devices like the Tivo and RePlay have dedicated
encoder chips which use specialized hardware to convert the video stream
to the MPEG-2 format without using the motherboard CPU. The main CPU has
the responsibility of running the Operating System and reading and
writing the encoded frames to the disk. These tasks have fairly low CPU
requirements compared to encoding video, which is why a device like a
Series 1 Tivo can run with only 16MB of RAM and a 54Mhz CPU.

Jeff