[mythtv] seperating backend/frontend

Stephan Wentz mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue Jan 14 01:24:43 EST 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 01:41, Grant Taylor wrote:

> > It appears the problem here not that LIRC doesn't support network
> > transparency, but instead that the IR receiver can only be plugged into
> > the caputer card which is in a remote location. If the IR receiver was
>
> Doh - IR!  I was thinking it was one of the RF remotes, like I used to
> have plugged into a random nearby computer in the next room...
>
> Anywho, there's a 95% chance the dongle uses a serialish connection.
> You should be able to lop off the connector and intersperse the usual
> cat5/rj45 cabling.  Try it and see; if it doesn't work you can always
> bail and buy an IR repeater or tuner-agnostic IR receiver.

but what would speak against the solution of one client being able to hook up
to the remote? i _have_ a rc-receiver, i _don't_ want to buy another one!
i guess it would be possible to transfer the rc-input from the backend to the
frontent and let it interpret there, and this could be made configurable...

bye, stephan