[mythtv] Speeding up MythWeather

tarek Lubani mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun Jan 12 19:30:45 EST 2003

Well, i'm not at all sure why, but the return certainly is slow for me..
consistently.. and I get timeouts about once every 5 loads.. When this
happens, it seems mythweather is still "scrolling", so the first page I get
usually ends up being the summary or such (third screen)..

I do see how it would be wasteful to do every 10 minutes if the weather
updates happen every 1/2 hour.. In this case, 10 minutes was thrown out as
I didn't know how frequently it did update.. I also see how wasteful it
would be to make this a 24/7 process..

So, I suggest the following.. How about having the update check for
something myth related? maybe check to see if the mythfrontend process is
running? Mythweather has nothing to do with the backend, and can only run
from a computer running mythfrontend, right? So, if there is a download
every half hour when mythfrontend is running, then the wasted bandwidth
would be minimized..

Further, it could be an option the default of which is to just get it
everytime it downloads.. And then people who have problems could activate it..

I'm not preaching, but just suggesting.. it seems (to me) that the
structure I've presented is relatively tame in its intrusion, and would be
of benefit..

Thoughts?