[mythtv] Re:Anyone interested?

Carl Larson mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 20:31:40 EST 2003

I'm very excited about a project like this.  For one
thing, I'd be more willing to encode into .ogg, if I
knew that I could support it anywhere.  Also, it
doesn't have to be too big (i'm thinking - one of
those cute, mini-cd's).

Consider Knoppix seriously for this.  I'll give it a
try myself when I get a chance, possibly next week or
when I go back to school.  For others, knoppix
remastering tutorials are available at
www.knoppix.net.  The hardware support is excellent.
I'd use knoppix myself, for the simple reason that it
automagically configured and mounted my external
250gig harddrive that goes through a pcmcia-firewire
adapter.  I got sick of trying to do this myself.
Network support would also be cool and very easy in
Knoppix, with samba, and tools like xSMBrower, or
LinNeighborhood already installed.

I'm new to knoppix remastering, but I imagine that I
would simply remaster knoppix, removing unneeded apps.
 I need to look into this framebuffer stuff.  What
would be the advantage to using in, like movix (^2)
does?  Is it less cpu intensive?  Or just more easily
supported by the hardware?  I guess X would be needed
if I wanted to run apps like LinNeighborhood, but how
easy is it to get samba integrated into a project like
this?  I mean, so that a share could be mounted (as an
option in setup)?  I guess I just need to look into
all this.  So  much to learn, and it seems like so
little time.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond to a
couple of these questions.

Carl