[mythtv] perf survey

Grant Taylor mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:52:04 -0400

OK, I want to get to the bottom of my performance issues.  (I get
unpleasant jitter with any codec at any resolution higher than
352x480).

To that end, if you have a jitter/hang/stutter-free life *while
recording one thing and watching another* on an Athlon XP 1800 with
bt878 and gforce4 chips, at 480x480 or larger with any codec, I'm
interested in learning:

 - What codec are you using?

 - Are you using the nvidia binary driver?

 - Is your mysql colocated on the server with mythtv?

 - What is your disk speed?  7200?  5400?  Other?

 - What is your disk buffer size?  2MB?  Other?
   [ cat /proc/ide/hda/cache ]

 - What are your dma, multcount, and prefetch settings?
   [ hdparm /dev/hda ]

 - What are your "elevator" settings? [ elvtune /dev/hda1 ]

 - What is your CPU and bus speed? [ cat /proc/cpuinfo ]

 - What is your memory type, speed, configuration, and size?

 - What is your motherboard chipset? [ a function of `cat /proc/pci` ]

 - What is your kernel version? [ uname -a ]

 - What is your compiler version? [ gcc -v ]

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
    Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/