[mythtv] Re: ATI AIW support

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:40:03 -0400

On Sunday 15 September 2002 09:49 pm, Grant Taylor wrote:
> Most probably do; there's a standard API for them to support, and the
> AIW code is a little unusual for not working this way.
>
> Most (all?) mythtv users appear to be using brooktree 848 based cards,
> and derivatives.  These have the most mature driver support in Linux.
> AFAICT there's no reason any other card properly supporting the V4L
> APIs wouldn't work as well, but somehow the world isn't full of
> reports about those.
>
> Currently there are two variants of "Hauppage WinTV PCI" cards sold in
> the $50 price range which will just work (one has a FM radio tuner).
> The retail packaging features a clear picture of the bt848 chip on the
> card, but most nowadays seem to feature later and better variations
> like the 878.  Many other brands and flavors of card are also based on
> these chips, but this is what I've got (I got it at circuit city two
> weeks ago).
>
> Issac's card is described in detail on his web page, replete with a
> link to best buy.  I expect it also cost something like $50.  So
> that's two choices there.

I have that ATI TV Wonder VE I link to on the webpage, and a Hauppauge
WinTV-Radio now.  The Hauppauge card is easily the better of the two -- it
supports stereo audio, has a remote control bundled with it, has the radio
tuner, and also supports the 'btaudio' kernel module which let's you record
audio without the extra cable.  I think the picture looks a little better,
too..

Isaac